Saturday, September 14, 2019

Capturing Movement - Step by step tutorial

This is the original image . ((Thanks for the amazing shot! Photo credit - https://www.facebook.com/shankar.dipak ) .)


Always remember what attracted you to this image initially. Your job is to bring out that element in whatever you do with the image, using whatever style you use - line drawing, water color, acrylic, digital whatever.


If you observe this photo has captured the movement where the animals are running diagonally towards the camera. It is NOT a side view, since we can see the chest part of both the animals.
The red lines capture the EXPLOSIVE ENERGY WHICH ATTRACTED ME TO THE IMAGE WHEN I SAW IT. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO CAPTURE . THE REST ARE MERE DETAILS.


These lines are the ENERGY LINES which connect both these animals in a poetic fashion. SO I SHOULD NOT LOSE THESE ENERGY LINES IN MY SKETCH.


These are the PROPORTIONS. I took the length of the antelope's body as the basic measurement scale. I measured all the elements using that base length.


Now I measured the VERTICAL proportions using the same base length.


Now I have full clarity on the proportions, scale . So whatever is the size of my paper, If I fix the centre point I can draw the outline of both animals in the centre of my paper.



Here is the defined outlines using a thin pen


Once the outline is defined I try to bring out the VOLUME of each part, since that round shape of legs, heads and bodies will make the animals SOLID.



Now I am fixing the VALUES OF LIGHT on the animals' bodies. Some parts are dark, some capture the light. I study which are the DARKEST DARK and LIGHTEST LIGHT . Throughout the process after this, I have to MAINTAIN THESE VALUES OF LIGHT.



Now, I work on the details like the Cheetah's spots, the eyes , the colouring


This is the last process, where I used a thicker PEN BRUSH to increase the CONTRAST  and HIGHLIGHT whatever I want to dominate.
.....................................................
S.SreeRam
NATHAN'S MEDIA GROUP
Mobile: 0 9380000555
Email: nathansmedia@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment